Friday, October 21, 2011

Tracking FEV1

Wow, what a slacker I am, I haven't been here in forever. I'd love to say I'm going to get better but the truth is life is pretty busy and while I think about good posts in my head they rarely make them to my fingertips. That being said I saved my pulmonary report from last week and wanted to get it recorded before I lost it.

Considering it's October, I just got over a cold, and a few other factors not in my favor I'm doing pretty well but my numbers are lower than I'd like. Need to hop on the compliance and work out bandwagon aLOT harder.

Oddly, after all my sensitivity issues and then reacting to antibiotics this most recent culture came back astoundingly sensitive, so much so I think it's a fluke. It showed only pseudomonas, no achromabacter and it was sensitive to everything except chloramphenicol which isn't even used in my clinic. I told the doctor I didn't buy it, I've worked in a lab long enough to see a HUGE outlier and we're taking bets on if the culture from this week shows up the same way or not.

Also, to note that my fantastic results of last april are highly atypical, I have not since achieved such results, of course, to be fair, I am no longer doing the candida diet and treatment, may be time to start that again. I have been running FEV1 in the 90's all year.

19Oct2011 FVC 95  FEV1-90  FEV25/75-84
Clinic Notes: One week post nasty cold, rainy, no morning breathing treatments. Mucous production still above baseline but cough back to almost baseline. Sinuses problematic lately. Some pleural tightness but not sick.


23Apr2010 FVC 127 FEV1 114 (up 14% WOW) FEV25-75 102 (up 12% WOW)
Notes: this is especially fantastic given my allergies are running wild and I have seen a drop in my peak flow the past few days from it. I normally write down my PEF (peak flow) but he pointed out that mine was off the chart this time, my Peak flow was 11.82 which equates to 150 L/min higher than two months ago i.e. the little plastic things we use measures in L/min.

Clinic Notes: Discussed recent treatment for candida. Fatigue, chronic pain, pleural pain, all gone. Lung functions are the best on record and it is after no drugs or steroids where as the 108% last year was after serious steroids.

18Feb2010 FVC 110 FEV1 100  FEV25-75 90
Clinic Notes: This was post IV's (stopped Christmas Eve) and 2 rounds prednisone totaling 5 weeks (1st round stopped New Years day and 2nd round was 3 weeks in January). Infection is gone but still having chronic pain on left side when breathing, especially deep breathing, still intermitten pleurisy, still fatigued and not feeling right, feel like I do right before I get a bleed. Discussed potentially entering chronic pain phase of CF (I do not accept this).  Also started drinking mucomyst N-acetylcysteine since last visit so reported good results in gastro area from this, no large effect noted on the lungs. Discussed going to CA to consult with Dr.Moss on inflammation and also discussed pursuing testing for candida with family doctor.

3May2009 FVC 118 FEV1 104 (down 4%) FEV25-75% 88 (up 1%)
Clinic Notes: re-check post steroids and pre-pregnancy (attempt). Everything looks great, feeling good, allergies are problematic and doc did say that my theory on my allergic reactions having residual inflammatory effect on my lungs (which I did another week steroids for) was very possible. His pregnancy recommendations are to be vigilent with physiotherapy especially hit it hard in 2nd tri' to get ready for 3rd when lungs are most compromised and there is the biggest risk.

March2009: FVC FEV1 108 FEV25-75% 87
Clinic Notes: Recheck after end of steroids, feeling good. Best FEV1 ever!

29Feb2009 FVC 111 FEV1 100 (down 3%) FEV25-75% 88 (down 14%)
Clinic Notes: feel inflammatory in nature start 2 weeks steroids 40mg taper. Still got streaking in day 2 steroids.

15Dec2008 FEV1 103 FEV25-75 102%
Clinic Notes: summer steroids early winter cold w 3 weeks cipro)

21Feb2008: FVC 105.3 FEV1 99.3 FEV25-75% 89.1 BP 114/68 HR 59 Wt152
Clinic Notes: was getting huge variability and felt something 'stuck'

25Jun2007: FVC 105 FEV1 97 FEV25-75% 82

4Dec2007: FVC 99 FEV1 91 FEV25-75% 77

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by