Saturday, February 28, 2009

Green Cleaning Experiment

Ok so my first week on the green cleaning experiment. Total cost experiment $5.

Here is what I have tried so far:
two large bottles hydrogen peroxide with spray tops inserted $2
two large spray bottles 50% distilled white vinegar/water $2 for HUGE bottle
two small boxes baking soda $1 for 2 boxes

My goal is to clean as many things as simply as I can and then branch out to 'specialized' products where I cant fill the niche or find a simple way. I would prefer to buy as little 'fancy' products as possible for the economical as well as convenience reasons.

I will start documenting what I try, what works, what doesn't. Perhaps one thing will work most of the time but I will need some 'strong cleaner' once in a while I can have someone else do, we shall see.

Today I did the bathroom downstairs and upstairs, not a deep clean just overall regular clean up.

I used vinegar water on the mirror-A+

sprayed toilet, washer, dryer and cabinet with hydrogen peroxide-A

sprinkled baking soda in sink and used scratch pad-B+ (required more rinsing than say ajax but worked very well)

followed up bathroom sink fixture with vinegar water due to streaky look after baking soda-A+

sprayed the floor with hydrogen peroxide, I tend to hand clean bathroom floors because I just dont think they get cleaned well otherwise. So I sprayed it, let it sit while doing the other stuff and then since this wasnt a 'scrub day' I used a paper towel to go around all baseboards behind toilet getting any dust balls, lint, hair etc, threw that away then used a small towel to wipe the tile down. The floor dried fine, looks good, no dirt/hair, germies are gone, I think I am happy with that. Since peroxide will kill germies (have to look into this further)and has no smell it was my first choice to try, we shall see what works best in long run.

I tackled the tub after letting baking soda sit in it and using green scratchy pad. It was wonderful as I could clean and not shoo DD out of the room for fear of her breathing in ajax. I could scrub more vigorously because I was not trying to hold my own breath! It worked well for 95% of everything. The only thing I would like is too look into something I can spray on shower walls for a 'soak' and something that has some soap scum cutting ability for that path directly under the soap holder. Overall B+.

I did this cleaning while wearing my breathe healthy mask-C Now I give it a see but only because of my comfort. I am not used to wearing a mask and I breathe funny when wearing them, I expect this to be A once I get 'used' to it.

OVERALL=A+++ it looks nice and clean and it was CHEAP and most importantly it didnt hurt my breathing ONE BIT. Used to be after I cleaned bathroom I took out trash because of all the paper towels and other contaminated smelly stuff I had used, then I would leave bathroom fan on forever and try not to use it. There was NO smell! Hooray. I think we have a winner.

PS wear gloves when using peroxide!!! Trust me I forgot!


I will try to post the more 'fancy' ideas once I find them LOL!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog provide very useful information about Green Cleaning..…thanks for sharing...
    Green Cleaners

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by