Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Diagnostic Tests for Candida

I have found some more specific information for ordering lab tests for suspected candida. This is a physician reference so if you want some interpretation I will see what I can do.
http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/Yeasts.html

I meant to get a copy of my lab orders but I didn't, I will ask for a copy once I get the results so I can post how it should be ordered since my doctor and lab had a hard time figuring it out.



Yeasts are capable of causing a spectrum of human diseases that range from colonization to uniformly fatal disease.

•Invasive fungal disease occurs in at-risk patient populations

◦Immunocompromised patients

◦Patients on immunomodulatory therapy

◦Patients with indwelling devices

◦Critically ill patients

•Species that most likely cause disease include:

◦Yeasts – Cryptococcus neoformans, Candida spp

•Manifestations of infection may occur in one or more body sites


(1,3)-Beta-D-Glucan (Fungitell®) 2002434


Method: Colorimetric Assay Detect (1-3) Beta-D glucan in serum samples when a fungal infection is suspected.Aid in diagnosis of invasive Candida infections. Use in conjunction with other diagnostic procedures.Does not detect fungal species which produce very low levels of (1-3) Beta-D glucan (eg, Cryptococcus)

Additionally a stool sample is recommended to see if you have an imbalance in good bacteria or an excessive overgrowth of candida.

Supposedly there is a urine test you can get as an additional tool but my doctor, my hospital, and their consultant in the lab at mayo haven't been able to figure it out? Still looking into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by