Tuesday, January 26, 2010

NAC Mucomyst Acetylcysteine

Well whatever you want to call it I started taking it friday night, January 22nd. Unfortunately I wont be able to truly tell the difference because I ended up in the ER with my inflammation being so bad on saturday. It was too little too late. I had been trying to avoid steroids and see what the inflammation would do on its own. I also eliminated all inflammatory foods from my diet and planne to do the NAC but my body wasnt patient enough. We did chest x-ray to make sure nothing seriously problematic was going on and then I started 60m steroids. I can say that on sunday I got up a small little plug....I wouldnt exactly call it a plug but considering I have been getting no mucous up and it was dark green and thick mucous it was almost there.

My doctor RX 600mg 3x/day on the phone I said I really wanted at least 800mg and he said ok but it didnt come thorugh that way.....of course the nurse forgot for 3 days so I dont imagine he even remembered that convo so I will talk to him next time. I have  been doing 1000mg 2x/day because of transporting it to work seeming like not a good idea with the stink factor and the spill factor and needing ot be refrigerated. Once I get a higher dose rx maybe I will.

I also have to get used to the taste. It is horrible, really really horrible. I dont do juice or pop but I tried taking frozen juice concentrate making it really strong and drinking it after and it didnt help. The one thing I found that worked was taking a shot of NAC followed by a shot of vinegar/water mixed which did fix it and alot times following up with a clemenetine or some other food. This however is too much acid for me because my belly is not pleased. I definately dont want to be gagging at work in canteen until I figure out how to tolerate this stuff!

Is fizzy nac this nasty? I thought about buying that for convenience and taking it to work.

5 comments:

  1. nope, fizzy NAC really tastes like drinking a diluted sweet tart. it's mildly sweet and not exactly great tasting, but it certainly won't make you gag, doesn't smell, and of course doesn't need to be refridgeraated. honestly, i know money is a huge issue, and the fizzy NAC is expensive, but in my opinion it's worth the difference if you can find even one small thing to cut from your budget every month. i used to neb the mucomyst - blah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Piper, I will have to ask hubby about ordering it. Actually, it would be just over $100/month from bioadvantex with the newly raised prices so I'd have to cut a bit more out. We are actually on a very lean budget right now trying to get out of debt but it might just be worth it LOL---at least for the day time one. I wonder what they add to it to change the taste? There is nothing in mucomyst besides pH modifier which doesnt smell/taste like the med so it has to be the NAC itself hmm.

    Anyway came on here to put that I got up another tiny little plug this morning, tiny but encouraging all the same and at this point I could care less if its the steroids, NAC or the combo because its out all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear about getting up plugs. That can be SUPER satisfying.

    Fizzing NAC doesn't taste all that great in my opinion, but it's no where near the taste of Mucomyst.

    Also, I wrote this on the CF2Chat board but I don't think you saw it - do you exercise regularly?

    I hate hate hate hate hate exercising but it does wonders for my inflammation / getting up plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NY Buyer's Club has it for 14.50 a box (down from the 18.50 Bioadvantex charges). Exact samae product, same brand, etc. It's $5 a year for a disability membership and you can order as much as you'd like at the discount (other supplements are discounted as well). You're saving $4 a box, so $5 pays for itself almost immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you piper I will consider that. Amy yes I do. I have been having a rough time lately havent done it yet this week with teh pleural pain and no sleep from steroids. Shooting for tomorrow morning. We just bought an elliptical, bosu, and some other accessories for the house.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by