Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Prednisone Documentary

never finished this post, will publish as is for now....since i'm on steroids AGAIN


Prednisone oh prednisone....where do I begin? Well you'll have to excuse my rambling because mine is coursing through my bloodstream at this very moment as well! I have also been thinking about prednisone, my use of it, and its affects alot so I greatly appreciate this post!Sandy-guess what I am doing this week besides staying away from people? ORGANIZING. Super crazy organizing, I have a project a day and I have even been blogging it because one of my friends wants me to organize her house LOL. I never put 2&2 together until I read what you wrote .My negative side effects:Well I pretty much get extremely wound up, over-react, get tense, and in a summary PMSx100. I have a very hard time sleeping, and by the 2nd day I am starving. My positive side effects:I LOVE LOVE LOVE the effect it has on my neck and back, I have alot problems with my neck, I am a very tense person and also hyper-mobile so my chiropractor has a hard time working on my neck. I regularly get massages and adjustments but I never feel as good as when I am on steroids. I once went to get an adjusment while on steroids hoping it would be easier to get things in line. She was in awe and kept commenting on how 'easy' it was and there wasnt even much she needed to do. Finally she looked at me and said "its like you have a new body, WHAT did you do" and I told her. Having been on steroids herself for MS she said AHA! Anyway that is the ONLY thing positive but it is something I like. My regiment: I have a plan set up with my PCP that whenever I am on steroids I call her and she prescribes xanax for me, otherwise I am just way way too wound up and make everyone aroune me miserable. It makes it better. Recently I started taking lexapro as a short term situation so I called my PCP and asked to double my dose. Using 20mg lexapro and then I have been taking 2-3 xanax a day actually make me feel semi alright. I am home with my daughter this week and am able to enjoy myself and I am not a complete over-reactive loon. I think this will be my new gig and will keep lexapro on hand for when I take prednisone. Additionally, next time I see my PCP I will ask for a RX for a sleep-aid that will work short term because the advil PM probably really isnt a good idea and I have been needing two every night in conjunction with sleepy time herbal tea to get to sleep. As for my usage/experience I dont know if it is unique since i have been using prednisone frequently despite having PFT's around 100%. 2 years ago after being on 5 weeks (2 separate almost back to back courses) I kept feeling inflammed and like something was 'stuck' and my PFT's were varying by 20% and I would feel something 'moving'. I was also having intermittent pleural pain. That doctor waid my PFT's were "too good" to need steroids. I dont care how good they are if they are varying by 20% given my other symptoms something else was going on. I have a new clinic and now my new regiment is sometimes antibiotics, sometimes steroids, sometimes both depending on what is going on. Right now I just finished a two week course of IV's which worked wonderfully for the infection. However, just like the last time I took zosyn I felt inflammed afterward which again resulted in the pleural pain on one side (which is not my norm). So now I am in 20mg range of the following burst: 60mgx2, 40mgx4, 20mgx4. My doctor does not feel being on steroids like this a couple times a year is going to be damaging to me. I am however looking into taking NAC because I want to look at other ways to reduce inflammation pro-actively.

2 comments:

  1. Do you exercise regularly? That can do wonders at reducing inflammation

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep absolutely. I never used to have problems like this. Dont know what the gig is.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by