Monday, December 29, 2008

CF PDP 2007

I titled this CF PDP because where I work at year end you get a PDP, performance development plan. Basically a year end review where you look at what goals you set for the year and what you achieved so I felt it was appropriate to have one for my health care as well. This is the first year I have been compliant with my treatments.

I noticed big changes already in August when I posted about FYI plans (For Your Imrovement) plans but there is always room for improvement. So to hold myself accountable here was my plan: 8/25/07 And Now For the Record . . . Here is MY FYI plan started taking B complex & magnesium fought to get an e-flow (unsuccesfully) started HTS continued with allergy shots started xolair shots started jogging and completed a 5K checked out the book my Dr. Perricone about anti-inflammatory diet put a bottle of water in my fridge with a note to take my probiotic pill I completed all of the items in my plan--yeah!

I didnt however stay on task with taking the probiotic (I just started back up this week) and I have been out of the B-complex for a couple weeks but adding it to this week's grocery list. I did however complete not just one but TWO 5k's with respectable times !

So what did my lifestyle change and hard work get me? Well a fellow blogger's post just got me thinking about this. Generally I am in my CF clinic perhaps 5-6x a year. I generally get admitted for hemoptysis 1x a year and of course get IV's then I end up perhaps on IV's one more time during the year and take oral's perhaps 2-3x a year.

So, let's just say I end up 'sick' enough for treatment 4x a year (that's way conservative) on average. Looking back at this year I was not hospitalized for hemoptysis-yeah (crossing fingers for remainig 3 days of year LOL), I did get orals once but they werent working so I went to IV's so that counts as one bout since that happens with me alot.

I actually didnt believe it, I had to go back and look at my records and sure enough July was the only time I was at CF clinic for more than one visit (meaning I was being treated not just a checkup). So my hard work and dedication got me a 75% reducation (at LEAST) in sick times etc and I was not locked up once.

And for the record it is not because I am more willing to just not go in when sick (being a busy mom etc) because my PFT's are UP about 10%. Yee Haw! My goals for next year are to continue on my path but get in great shape (not just decent like now), loose a few pounds (extra weight can hinder your lungs not to mention increase risk of a host of other factors like diabetes etc), and continue on CF Forums and see what other good ideas I can come up with (errr, *borrow* from others)

LOL! I am documenting all this in the hopes that someone out there, perhaps a teen who is in the 'it doenst matter what I do' phase will see this and have proof that it compliance really CAN make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by