Monday, December 29, 2008

Clinic Visit Post IV's

Very happy about my PFT's today, less than happy about my clinic--nay my dr, my clinic overall is great minus the docs LOL. I lovingly looked at my PFT report all the whole drive home...........

15Apr2008 (post IV's) FVC 108.2% (gain 2.9%) FEV1 103.1% (gain 3.8%) FEF 25-75% 95.4% (gain 6.3%)

Reference: 25Mar2008 (Pre-IV) FVC 91.0 FEV1 84.2 FEV25-75%69.6

21Feb2008 (Previous Best) FVC 105.3 FEV1 99.3 FEV25-75% 89.1 BP 114/68 HR 59 Wt 152

Now you see why I was looking so adoringly at them! Side note is that I am going to be a movie star! Our new respiratory therapist really is into educating patients and she commented many times that I huff very well (between PFT's etc) this time she was lamenting that she wished she could teach her kids my huffing specifically an 8 year old that is starting to face problems and she just cant find a good video and when she does it it doesnt sound the same since she is 'dry' huffing. So I told her if she wanted audio or video and though it would help someone out I would be glad to comply! So, next time I have to dress nice and we will be video taping me for her other patients. I told her it would be a good idea to get me as well as anotehr patient that perhaps has a more productive cough than I do since it would be good to see and hear different sorts huffing.
If anyone has audio or video of themselves huffing or autogenic breathing or coughing that you dont mind sharing that would be great too!

The not as happy part is I still have 'something' stuck my first PFT had a FVC much lower, I blew, felt something 'move' and then I was able to get better numbers BUT I havent gotten anything up. I told my docs I felt everything was dessicated in there due to 5 weeks meds (2oral/3IV) and that I wanted some prednisone to open things up in there so I coudl get it out. He disagreed. I told him not only do I have something I can feel is stuck but when I cough hard enough I can taste it and I get intermittent lung pain in the same area once in a while which I believe due to a plug. He stood his ground and refused and wanted me to 'keep doing what I am doing'. I am doing everythign correct, there is nothing he could add to my regimen I am not doing so what the heck is the harm in letting me try a burst, just a few days I dont want to go on them long term.

Anyway if it was just this one thing it would be no big deal but overall I dont feel they are aggressive enough. My PFT's are good so they alwasy think it's 'good enough' but they thought this when I was running mid 90's too so what if I am at 100+% if I can get something out and get higher what is the problem. Anyway maybe I am wrong on this thing and steroid burst isnt best idea but I am thinking of checking out another clinic at UofM, it would be a 2.5hour drive for me but its worht thinking about.

Soooo my plan is to do HTS in my portable on my lunch hour, and on my way home from work in addition to some extra vesting at night and of course my normal TOBI 2 pulmozyme and xopenex. I also am going to get out my acapella and try a bit of that, which to be fair that in addition to giving it a week or so to see what I can do with the above plan was my docs recommendation and it does sound reasonable *I guess*. Anyway I am in love with PFT's and goign to try and get them a bit higher yet with some running and clearance!

Self Notes for next time: sick Jan-Mar=auto IV's TOBI dose was 500mg did draw through port--next time do fresh draw Ceftaz dose was 850mg did not work Merropenem was 2g plus levaquin 750mg, did work but next time get IV zofran

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by