Monday, December 29, 2008

Germ Guardian Temperature Mapping

This is an evaluation of the temperatures that the germ guardian reaches. Note this is unofficial in every way, this was done on my own germ guardian (~6mo old)using my own nebs and was only done once. While I tried to throw in some variables and consider worst case scenarios it is in no way a robust measure of all conditions. I am in no way advocating not following approved CFF cleanign methods; this is an FYI ONLY!

I do not have the information for the temperature and duration of time that is needed to kill of most bacteria, especially those in question like B.Cepacia, MRSA, Pseudomonas. I Believe I have it soemwhere but if someone could post that it would be helpful, otherwise I can look it up perhaps later.
Wet Dry T1 T2 T1 T2
60 sec 139.9 145.0 115.2 122.8
5 min 166.7 174.5 164.5 172.5
10 min 170.3 178.1 171.3 179.5
15 min 172.0 180.1 171.8 179.9
20 min** 172.8 181.3 172.6 180.6
25 min 127.0 129.5 136.6 139.5
30 min 99.3 99.9 100.0 100.1

Notes: All readings were performed using a calibrated temperature mapping thermometer, accurate within +/- 0.1 deg, it has wire temperature probes so that I could fit them in through the holes in the top and adjust them to their desired locations. All readings were performed with the germ guardian loading basket containing the parts for three sprint neb cups. (since this is a pretty full load it simulates worst case compared to jsut throwing one cup in there--although I can jam 4 in there if I try) All readings are denoted in degrees Fahrenheit.

**You will notice the large drop in temperature between 20-25 minutes. On the second dry cycle I noted at what point this happened and it was at precisely 22minutes30seconds. Wet-denotes nebs put in after only shaking off excess water

Note: done as a comparison for worst case scenario, I know I many times throw them in there still damp. Dry-denotes the nebs were completely dry, this was the second run I did but I waited for the guardian and cups to return to room temperature.

Note: guardian is only intended to be used with dry items.

T1-This temperature probe was placed at the outer edge of the very bottom level. Meaning the lowest your nebs would be sitting at. It was not touching the grate below (metal) where heat source is, only as low as a neb would actually be (the bottom of the blue plastic) and towards the outer edge of the vessel since this temperature could be lower than a temperature monitored in the direct center of the loading basket.

T2-this probe was placed just inside the top of the loading basket (2.5cm) down and towards the center of one of the slits where air escapes.

1 comment:

  1. I never posted back but these temperatures are not long enough to kill the bacteria we as CF'ers are interested in so it is essentially a fancy dry cycle.

    I have switched to boiling in a pasta pot in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by